Can anyboby help with info re Blackburn Raves I went to...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Hi, nostalgic that I am, I'm trying to find out exactly where 2 Blackburn Raves I went to were. The 1st was on a saturday night the day before Christmas Eve 1989. We left Rochdale at 2am after the nightclubs shut - a van somehow appeared out of nowhere, as they did in those days - and reached Blackburn about 2.30. It was in a relatively-small disused building at the bottom of a steep street of terraced houses. A friend climbed through a window to get in without paying, not realising it was free entry. It was cold but packed and went on 'til about 7a.m. The police turned up at one point & an Inspector came in & walked around but then they left. Acid Rock was one tune played.

I then went (well, kind of) to another which must've been near Burnley as I had to pick my friend up from Burnley Police Station the next afternoon. This one was in a semi-rural area. We got there in the middle of the night, parked up then walked down the road past loads of local residents who were stood outside their houses with their arms crossed. Off the side of the road was a field with some sort of mill in it. All the residents being outside looking angry made me think the mill looked too easy to get trapped in so I went back to the car. Sure enough, the police turned up in big numbers shortly after and arrested loads of partygoers including my friend. He told me later the police took an axe to the decks & chased loads of people through surrounding fields as they fled. How we actually found these events I just don't know. Everyone just seemed to magically know where to go.

I'd been to an M25 rave down south in Summer '89 but these near Blackburn were different: the one down south was quite posh - if you can call being in a muddy field posh - but those Blackburn ones felt like Konspiracy on Tour, if that makes sense.

I did contact the moderators via the "Feedback" facility as I haven't posted on a forum before. The moderator suggested I asked you guys, especially someone called "Northern Star". Anyway, any info you can give would be nice as it sometimes feels as if such events never really happened, mainly because everyone was so caught up in the excitement at the time - it's not like anyone was taking notes. I actually found it hard to believe what I was seeing at the first one. It was like you'd been let into a kind of secret night-time world you'd never known about before.

Thanks. Dave, Rochdale.

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
sounds like ewood mills and the one in nelson mate, northern star will fill ya in on all the gory details :cool:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Hi Dave,

Im Debs - Nice to hear from you! Always a topic very close to my heart being a blackburn lass and those days just were the bomb.

The 2nd rave you speak of near Burnley could well have been the Nelson rave at Lomeshaye Industrial Estate - it all kicked off quite badly after wards - police everywhere and many arrests including my mate carol who was accused of being one of the organisers lol! Not funny at the time mind :(:p:thumbsup: (think ive got newspaper stuff for this too) ;)

The 1st one at the bottom of a steep street (possibly livesey branch road), im not too sure mind there were many locations in the blackburn area held in an around similar locations (with steep streets), but i do have all the newspaper articles from 1989 so ill have a dig throug for you hun. I think i know which one you are on about (Ewood) it was defo cold and snowey and xmas time - but ill have a look first to make sure as ewood was quite a large rave! not really near any terraced houses apart from accross the road. Livesey branch is a main road see not really a street! so i do have my doubts here! ! Im sure we can sort it for u tho m8 ;)
If i can find the usb lead for my scanner ill scan the articles for you and post them here okies Dave :wave:

Im glad you noticed a distinct difference in the m25 raves to the ones held here in the north west because we were so overlooked by many but yet i feel the north west pioneered the real sense of the illegal rave! Magic wernt they x
:cops: :cops: :cops:

Last edited:

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks

Thanks very much, Northern Star / Debs & Blackburn Bod.

Yes, magic stuff. You almost couldn’t believe what you were seeing and felt like you were taking part in a revolution. My friend had gone on for weeks beforehand saying “We have to get to Blackburn, we have to get to Blackburn...” every weekend but no-one took any notice of him ‘til that time before Xmas. We all piled in the back of a van & next thing we knew the doors were opened & we were told “Welcome to Blackburn” with big grins all round.

We just piled in this foundy / mill / whatever where it was already going on & bang! There it was: an energy – release detonated. The atmosphere had a charge I’ve not experienced before or since. It felt like an extension of Konspiracy or Fac51 but more illicit and, well, naughty.

As we came back over Owd Betts into Dale the next morning (I was sat in the front on the way back and obviously it was just after dawn and light now, that’s the only reason I have any memory at all of where it was) we knew we’d been at something special.

I know it was a bit weedy of me not to actually go into the second one but I just wasn’t kamikaze enough.

Yes, I’d be very grateful if you could scan and post any articles you have - thanks.

All I’m hoping to do is maybe drive past the place one day and think "There it was". At the moment it's like a misty memory (I'm sure you can understand).

Cheers, Dave

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Dont worry about it Dave i think those days were very hazy for many many of us - im just local so its a little bit easier to remember a few things :$ but not much as u can well imagine :p

Ill have a good dig thro and let you have what i can find. Acid rock - well i have the vinyl although many would snub it as cheesy these days but its one of the one big tunes of the warehouses so i have fond memories of it as im sure many blackburn party people will too phones:

Funny you mention going back to where it all happened as me n bod were thinking of having a drive round and taking some piccies of where things were, unfortunately ewood mill has long since been knocked down now :( but i do know that there was a fantastic article in the telegraph about it not long after it happened (will be amongst the 1990 stuff) big double page print of inside the warehouse, need to go to the library when i have a bit of time and do the 1990 microfiche search as it took me a full day to do 1989 :thumbsup: i will do it tho. I distictly remember it cus my friend pete oldroyd (of rhythm foundation) had the print on his bedroom wall, i used to stare it all the time when we were there off our nuts :p picking people out of the crowd. :thumbsup: You are more than welcome over to do a day trip out with us sometime and relive the dream ;)

Welcome aboard Dave :)

These links are ace... for someone like me who never went (Midlands lad at the time) it's ace to look at & think about what it would've been like to have that on your doorstep :)

Welcome aboard - this is a very very place good to start

High n Hope

Plus these

Interview: Piers Sanderson, director of High On Hope | expletive undeleted

Acid House Documentary: 'High on Hope'

High On Hope | Facebook

YouTube - High On Hope - 20th Anniversary Of The Blackburn Warehouse Parties

YouTube - High On Hope (2003 version) Trailer

YouTube - Boomtown Part1

YouTube - Boomtown Part2

Hmmm. Shooms being nice.

Odd.

;)

I am nice :D

I've set up 2 tesco direct accounts to deliver anonononononmymously groceries n goodies to 2 girly mates with kids who are going thru tough times at the mo... it's like secret millionaires but with club points.

I had a txts to say I made em both cry today bless em... I didn't have to bum 'em with a knife to their throat either :D

(This time :eyebrow: )

alexbennett

Aug 11, 2005
Kidderminster
www.mixcloud.com
Grooming, Bazzoh.
Grooming.

Fuckin comedy :rofl: Debs btw :p

I've set up 2 tesco direct accounts to deliver anonononononmymously groceries n goodies to 2 girly mates with kids who are going thru tough times at the mo... it's like secret millionaires but with club points.

I had a txts to say I made em both cry today bless em... I didn't have to bum 'em with a knife to their throat either :D

Cruising Shooms :car: (Debs again)

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London

Grooming I believe it's called.

And you still are a Midlander, you dozy get.

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks

Northern Star & Shooms, ta very much.

Northern Star... I’m reduced to using a public computer at the mo and you only get an hour a day so I’ll keep an eye on here and see if you scan any articles up – ta in advance if you do. No rush, main reason I want some sort of concrete memory of these events is cos the friend I went with (the one who got arrested at the 2nd one) is sadly no longer with us so it is like a nostalgia thing but also quite important in a way (hope that makes sense). Anyone who knows me would be astonished if they knew I used to go to events like that (it amazes me). I used to visit a company in Great Harwood on Heys Lane Industrial Estate and used to hear local lads from Accy talk about "warehouse porrties" (as they said "parties") from that era and used to think how shocked they'd be if they knew I'd been to some.

Shooms... ta very much for the links to look thru. I'll check them out. It's amazing how little record of all this stuff there is. I guess it's cos everyone was too caught up in it all at the time to bother recording it.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Northern Star & Shooms, ta very much.

Northern Star... I’m reduced to using a public computer at the mo and you only get an hour a day so I’ll keep an eye on here and see if you scan any articles up – ta in advance if you do. No rush, main reason I want some sort of concrete memory of these events is cos the friend I went with (the one who got arrested at the 2nd one) is sadly no longer with us so it is like a nostalgia thing but also quite important in a way (hope that makes sense). Anyone who knows me would be astonished if they knew I used to go to events like that (it amazes me). I used to visit a company in Great Harwood on Heys Lane Industrial Estate and used to hear local lads from Accy talk about "warehouse porrties" (as they said "parties") from that era and used to think how shocked they'd be if they knew I'd been to some.

Shooms... ta very much for the links to look thru. I'll check them out. It's amazing how little record of all this stuff there is. I guess it's cos everyone was too caught up in it all at the time to bother recording it.

Awww really to hear about youre friend Dave, that is certainly understandable as to why its extra special memory wise for you.

If you want hard copies of all these things just let me know and i can photocopy for you chuck, its no trouble! :thumbsup:

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Shooms, ta very much for those links, I just watched the Boomtown one. Amazing stuff, shivers were going down my back as I watched it. Brings it all back to life again (it sometimes feels like these things never happened). Watching that Boomtown one's Part 2 I saw the date 17-12-89 on the camera & the bit after looked like the one I went to (by this I mean a bit of a separate alcove for the DJ & decks and the place had a low-ish roof) so I'm confused now - maybe it was the week before Xmas Eve? Northern Star, do you know where the one on 17-12-89 was? Either way, if you could put up here (or however you normally do it) any stuff from the Blackburn local paper from, say, last fortnight of December to first week of Jan I'd be grateful. If it's any trouble, just tell me what the Blackburn paper's called (Blackburn Evening Telegraph?) and I'll check it out myself. Obviously it's possible the building it was in got knocked down by now but not much I can do about that. Ta for what you said about my friend (obviously that's the main reason I wanna go and just see the place again and think about the memories).

Dave

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Shooms, ta very much for those links, I just watched the Boomtown one. Amazing stuff, shivers were going down my back as I watched it. Brings it all back to life again (it sometimes feels like these things never happened). Watching that Boomtown one's Part 2 I saw the date 17-12-89 on the camera & the bit after looked like the one I went to (by this I mean a bit of a separate alcove for the DJ & decks and the place had a low-ish roof) so I'm confused now - maybe it was the week before Xmas Eve? Northern Star, do you know where the one on 17-12-89 was? Either way, if you could put up here (or however you normally do it) any stuff from the Blackburn local paper from, say, last fortnight of December to first week of Jan I'd be grateful. If it's any trouble, just tell me what the Blackburn paper's called (Blackburn Evening Telegraph?) and I'll check it out myself. Obviously it's possible the building it was in got knocked down by now or something but not much I can do about that. Ta for what you said about my friend (obviously that's the main reason I wanna go and just see the place again and think about the memories).

Dave

Rochdale Dave

Oct 15, 2010
Guess you're having technical problems...

Guess you're having a few technical problems scanning stuff in there, Northern Star. No worries, thanks very much anyway, you've given me plenty of info to go off there. I'll have a trundle up to Blackburn in the next few weeks. As I say, it was just a kind of nostalgia thing but also quite important. So thanks again and to others who commented. Dave.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Guess you're having a few technical problems scanning stuff in there, Northern Star. No worries, thanks very much anyway, you've given me plenty of info to go off there. I'll have a trundle up to Blackburn in the next few weeks. As I say, it was just a kind of nostalgia thing but also quite important. So thanks again and to others who commented. Dave.

Yeah not managed to find my usb lead for the scanner as yet, ive had a bit of a mad few wks decorating and stuff so ive moved stuff from where i kept them and tidied up so to speak, it is around somewhere i hope just need to find the time to have a dig around. :thumbsup: