Stanton ST 150 MK2

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com

These are my favourite looking decks so sexy and I do own first Generation MRk1's the grey ones what are the best ones will that what people say online.

Am in two minds about buying these as I would like to buy 3rd turntable and that would be a Technic. Take my mixing to a whole different level :fekked:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Every review i've read and watched has slated these.

They aren't the same quality as the originals, they're too light, not built to the same quality and no turntablist would touch one with a bargepole.

Shame they've let themselves go as i'm still rocking a STR8.150 that I bought to replace a busted 1210 about 8-10 years ago.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Every review i've read and watched has slated these.

They aren't the same quality as the originals, they're too light, not built to the same quality and no turntablist would touch one with a bargepole.

Shame they've let themselves go as i'm still rocking a STR8.150 that I bought to replace a busted 1210 about 8-10 years ago.

I still have the first genration ones the grey ones the first ones they built, they bought out a second addition what was in blue and they are not as good as the grey ones, am glad you told me about the bad reviews and I will stay clear of them am very happy with my turntables. :thumbsup:

Am not sure if them being lighter is a bad thing these are way to heavey and I don't think they shaved of to much weight but the good thing about the old ones if you accidently jog them it don't affect you mixing you would need a lorriy to move them and the torque on the old ones is just phenomenal.

marty

VIP Gold Member
I bought a pair brand new in December 2017.

Excellent deck, but I just could not get used to them - they were just “different” to use compared to 1210s.

One deck also kept dropping one channel (my mate has them at the minute, and its still doing it ....... it’s off for fault finding soon hopefully).

I bought a set of refurbished 1210s!

Nice deck, but I prefer the 1210s even though they aren’t new.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I bought a pair brand new in December 2017.

Excellent deck, but I just could not get used to them - they were just “different” to use compared to 1210s.

One deck also kept dropping one channel (my mate has them at the minute, and its still doing it ....... it’s off for fault finding soon hopefully).

I bought a set of refurbished 1210s!

Nice deck, but I prefer the 1210s even though they aren’t new.

You would of bought the 2nd generation of the mk1 I have 1st genration of the mk1 the grey one it's a better turntable, they do take time to get use to if your been use to the 1210s,

And the other way around, people have said if they have been use to the Stanton and then used the technics they had found them hard to use.

I can get them to mix perfectly with house garage is a bit more tricky but that's only because it's harder to mix.

The trick with the stantons is to use the platter as they have so much torque. Put your finger on it works perfectly for me.

I learnt to mix on Technics 1210s back in the 90's , brand new out of the box. I owned my first pair in 1998 before that I had belt drives.

I had sold Technics in 2001 and did not do any more mixing until about 2017 on turntables. This is all fresh to me the collecting of records and mixing and I am cracking on a bit in age now.

I meet a guy recently when I was viewing houses, he was in his early 50's and had just bought his first set of turntables, am in my early forty's.

Last edited:

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I got some of the first edition Stanton Str8-100s, because, to me, they looked the best, had decent torque, all the functions I needed and were less than Technics and better than the various technics clones at the time.

Over the years, the power sockets have failed and crackle/waggle around. One just about comes on, whilst the other has been dead for about 6 or 7 years. I don't do much mixing any more (although I plan to change that!), so I suppose I might as well get them fixed at an electrician style shop (if I can find one suitable).

Whilst I do like the look and feel of my silver 100's.....I can't say I found them great for mixing in terms of keeping time over long mix durations. I mixed a lot of progressive house, where long mixes were part of the sound genre. I'd find it needed constant attention with gripping the spindle to keep things in check.

In the meantime, I got a DDJ controller and recorded in a lot of vinyl. I like the DDJ, I used Traktor, but I don't use that much either - primarily because I find it hard to keep time with long mixes. I am thinking that it may be the actual rips of vinyl that are at fault, not just my inability to mix.

If the Stantons are 10 times more deviant on the wow and flutter, I assume this will mean that the overall pace will be wavering over the duration of the track - which could be why I found it hard to keep time on vinyl and, possibly, why my attempts to mix with vinyl rips is just the same.

I also did something idiotic with my decks - I rubbed them over to clean them with a kitchen sponge that was quite rough, which I hadn't noticed (in the poor lighting) had in fact ruined the anodised aluminium finish by scratching it all shiny. There are also various stains that seem to have affected the anodised finish and wont come off.

I am moving into a new house, so I thought I may get some new ones......but Jesus, the price of decks has jumped a lot in the last 15 years in my opinion! Those new technics, frig me, ridiculous prices. Some of the clones are still out there, but they look quite plasticky and are more than they used to be. Others seem to have all sorts of buttons and pads on, which some may like, but I find the appearance completely gash.

So it looks like I am sticking to the ones I have. I might get an old deck out of my parent's loft for recording vinyl on for the DDJ, to see if that holds time any better.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I got some of the first edition Stanton Str8-100s, because, to me, they looked the best, had decent torque, all the functions I needed and were less than Technics and better than the various technics clones at the time.

Over the years, the power sockets have failed and crackle/waggle around. One just about comes on, whilst the other has been dead for about 6 or 7 years. I don't do much mixing any more (although I plan to change that!), so I suppose I might as well get them fixed at an electrician style shop (if I can find one suitable).

Whilst I do like the look and feel of my silver 100's.....I can't say I found them great for mixing in terms of keeping time over long mix durations. I mixed a lot of progressive house, where long mixes were part of the sound genre. I'd find it needed constant attention with gripping the spindle to keep things in check.

In the meantime, I got a DDJ controller and recorded in a lot of vinyl. I like the DDJ, I used Traktor, but I don't use that much either - primarily because I find it hard to keep time with long mixes. I am thinking that it may be the actual rips of vinyl that are at fault, not just my inability to mix.

If the Stantons are 10 times more deviant on the wow and flutter, I assume this will mean that the overall pace will be wavering over the duration of the track - which could be why I found it hard to keep time on vinyl and, possibly, why my attempts to mix with vinyl rips is just the same.

I also did something idiotic with my decks - I rubbed them over to clean them with a kitchen sponge that was quite rough, which I hadn't noticed (in the poor lighting) had in fact ruined the anodised aluminium finish by scratching it all shiny. There are also various stains that seem to have affected the anodised finish and wont come off.

I am moving into a new house, so I thought I may get some new ones......but Jesus, the price of decks has jumped a lot in the last 15 years in my opinion! Those new technics, frig me, ridiculous prices. Some of the clones are still out there, but they look quite plasticky and are more than they used to be. Others seem to have all sorts of buttons and pads on, which some may like, but I find the appearance completely gash.

So it looks like I am sticking to the ones I have. I might get an old deck out of my parent's loft for recording vinyl on for the DDJ, to see if that holds time any better.

I have not used technics for over 19 years so to make any comment on them would be unfair, but I do have memory of them not been easy to use and did not mix perfectly all the time.

I have read online people saying the stantons hold the beat for ages they have gone to the toilet and when they have come back they still have held the beat perfectly.

I find that some records you can just let play and they don't lose the beat you might have to just tap the platter once in a while to keep them in.So that suggest that their is nothing wrong with the flutter.

I do find like you I have keep my finger on the side to keep the timing in. The spindle things does not work on mine as their is to much power in the motor.

Mostly after mixing I come away with a nunb finger as the amount time I spend keep putting my finger on the platter to keep them in time. But this is the way I beat match as well I have to keep tapping the platter to get them to sincrinized beat, but I would do this if I had technics it's just the way I learned to mix,

I could save up another £400 to buy a pair of technics but am not sure they would be better and probably would be disappointed. Their is nothing on line I have read that suggest one is better than the other.

I have had no technical issue with mine as yet

I know I use to get frustrated with my technics as much as I do my stantons so that suggests that both are hard to mix on.

I really don't want to waste £400 to find out that they are no better were that money could be spent else were.

I have seen videos on line of people mixing with technics and they still have to twist the spindle to get them to mix only a person with some technics could reply to this thread and say that most of the time they can let the record go and it mixes perfectly, that is the only way of knowing.

I don't know how old the first genration stantons are now but some of the flutter issues might be down to them needing a service they are old now and am guessing both our stantons need a good service.

I got about 5 record today to mix perfectly with out doing anything they just held the beat. I think it's just beats on the records that change and not their is something wrong with the flutter on the turntable. That's why you have to tap the platter or twist the spindle.

Last edited:

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
The new Technics have some kind of new accuracy technique technology, but I am with you, the price of the new Technics is quite absurd. I love the look of these Stanton 150's in the first comment - the style of them is a bit special, just like what attracted me to mine.

Str8-100's
stanton.jpg

I wouldn't want to risk them running out of time, but as you say, I wouldn't justify another serious wad of cash just to get Technics.

I don't know what I'd get if I wanted new ones. None take my fancy these days, other than the look of these 150s. They are attractive.....but I'd need to be 100% sure of the performance before I ever took the plunge and got new decks.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
The new Technics have some kind of new accuracy technique technology, but I am with you, the price of the new Technics is quite absurd. I love the look of these Stanton 150 - the style of them is just like what attracted me to mine.
View attachment 34248

I wouldn't want to risk them running out of time, but as you say, I wouldn't justify another serious wad of cash just to get Technics. I don't know what I'd get if I wanted new ones. None take my fancy these days, other than the look of these 150s. They are attractive.....but I'd need to be 100% sure of the performance before I ever took the plunge.

I think I will stick with what I've got, their are no technical issue with mine they work perfectly, I would rather spank my wages on records:love:

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
Out of curiosity, I have been looking at some decks. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the Pioneer PLX 1000 models. Very high torque, wow and flutter to rival the classic Technics, looks well manufactured, not too busy with gadgetry, the blurb suggests a weighty rubberised die cast base and platter, rubberised tone arm.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Gregsta mix on his stantons

https://mega.nz/#!Al9TCAIT!WG-34yswdjB8eyKRbZb-0DaHyeqelhxNDSM6K9brkl0

Their is a bit of crackling going on, but that's just the way I recorded it. My tape deck is in having its belts replaced at the moment, if I had that I could of done a perfect recording but as you can hear my mixing is perfect, even though my finger is a bit numb no need for a new pair of turntables here. :rotate::roll:

They are kick arse turntables and and the torque on these things are phenomenal

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
The new Technics have some kind of new accuracy technique technology, but I am with you, the price of the new Technics is quite absurd. I love the look of these Stanton 150's in the first comment - the style of them is a bit special, just like what attracted me to mine.

Str8-100's
View attachment 34248

This photo is of a stanton st 100 not 150 the brand new one looks like this on here

https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipment/dj-turntables/stanton-str8-150-m2-turntable.htm?opt=34243&gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867bymqTqV4b707THO6yw3bR0fIzWgKYTcMxIecEps31CTa_o1GISDjvIxoCFIkQAvD_BwE

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
Yeah bud, I know, I was just showing which ones mine were - and why the ones in your link at the top were also something more than the average on appearance. :thumbsup:

I think the new Technics will be better than the PLX1000 due to the way they've rebuilt their motors and motion control, but, to me, it looks like the PLX1000s are the closest match to the original Technics, particularly in terms of torque, start-up, wow and flutter, the weight and the rubberised metal base and platter, which I don't think many of the clone-technics decks have.

I'd be chuffed to have some of the Stanton 150s, looks a truly cracking deck. I'd also be happy with some PLX1000s!