OSA Radio - Old Skool Music 24/7

Listeners @

Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound
'Open' when prompted to play in your chosen player

Download The App

Download Free Old Skool Mixes

BBDD Easter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoring your old tapes / cleaning up the hiss sound

I my opinion it's not really worth cleaning up the sound quality as a lot of noise reduction plugins remove unnecessary data in the music. If you remove the hiss you're likely to also be removing some of the frequencies and data in the tunes

When I encode old mixes I just splice sides A and B together so it's one file, normalise everything to 0db and leave it the fuck alone

I wanna hear it sound like it did in 91 when I first got the tape!

each to their own then eh!

the idea is to remove as much hiss/noise as possible without removing any of the musical frequencies.

you can check this by listening to what its going to remove, rather than whats left, and sure enough - you will only hear hiss. or at least you should do, if you hear more then you are taking away too much.

i have made some vast improvements to some tapes that definitely sound better for it.

Many thanks for the info, just myself starting out with a big bunch of tapes to rip and some need cleaning.

To add to the many before me... Thanks for this!
    I can now set up as an Ebay trader and flog my old mix tapes as 'Digitally Remastered!'

Oh and thanks of course to Isohunt.....

Very helpfull thank's

I personally think ozone 9 is the best program to use along side adobe audition you can add it as a plugin to adobe audition . Ozone 9 beats all the other programs hands down, I have tried most of them and I have got the best results from ozone 9 it was a trial version.

audacity is a great program for ripping tapes but it does lose some of the sound quality. It does not make a perfect recording. Am not sure if their is anything that will make a perfect recording of tapes no matter what I have tried their is a noticeable diffrent s . Its strange because you can make a perfect recordings of cds.

Like someone else said the re mastering software is expensive and ozone 9 is retailing at say 170 what is a lot of money for a bit of software that only slightly going to make it sound better and to make really bad recordings sound good , your probably needing a degree to use some of the more advanced software out their, unless your super intelligent you might be able to use it with no teaching.
    Last edited by gregsta; 11th October 2019 at 04:13 PM.

http://buzzin-house.com
    Another old skool forum you might want to check out, updated regularly with new mixes

Quote Originally Posted by DJPC View Post
    I my opinion it's not really worth cleaning up the sound quality as a lot of noise reduction plugins remove unnecessary data in the music. If you remove the hiss you're likely to also be removing some of the frequencies and data in the tunes

When I encode old mixes I just splice sides A and B together so it's one file, normalise everything to 0db and leave it the fuck alone

I wanna hear it sound like it did in 91 when I first got the tape!
    I agree with you it will take some of the sound quality from the original recording your better of leaving it in.

Remastering programs are developed to make things sound better and that's what they do and are worth using..

http://buzzin-house.com
    Another old skool forum you might want to check out, updated regularly with new mixes